Pregnancy stretch marks are a common occurrence – 90% of women get stretch marks from pregnancy so you are not alone. While pregnancy stretch marks are hard to avoid and will most likely never completely disappear, you can reduce their appearance with the right approach. Read on to find the best stretch mark therapy for pregnancy.
At a glance:
- Stretch marks are a perfectly normal part of pregnancy
- Pamper your skin during pregnancy – don’t worry about stretch marks!
- Look for products containing the right ingredients – and avoid others.
- Why do I get stretch marks from pregnancy?
- How can you prevent stretch marks during pregnancy?
- How can you care for stretch marks after pregnancy?
- How do I find the best stretch mark prevention product for me?
Why do I get stretch marks from pregnancy?
Pregnancy is one of the most common times for stretch marks. Particularly during the sixth or seventh month, hormonal changes weaken the connective tissue while the growing baby stretches the belly.
When the skin is stretched too fast for the underlying connective tissue to keep up, it can rupture and cause a type of scar – the stretch mark. Consequently, up to 90% of women get stretch marks during pregnancy[2,3].